March 29, 2009

109 not out for Beckham

DAVID BECKHAM won his 109th cap for England to finally beat the record of World Cup-winning captain Bobby Moore.
Moore had been the most capped outfield player in England's history and his feat looked safe two years ago when Steve McClaren took over as manager and dropped Beckham from his first squad.

But the midfielder has always made himself available for national service and won his reward for loyalty by coming on as a second-half substitute in the 4-0 win over Slovakia.
And he celebrated by providing a pinpoint cross for Wayne Rooney to head England's second goal.

The former Three Lions captain, 33, said: "I am very proud. To play 109 times for England is obviously very special for me and for my family.

"I'll keep this cap for myself. It will be in my house in London, locked up.

"I dedicate it to my family because they are the ones who have been through the ups and downs of my career and been there for the good times and also the bad times.

"It's been a rollercoaster but it's been a special night tonight.

"When you are on the bench you hope to come on and either secure the game or make a difference and produce an assist.

"I was lucky enough tonight to get in positions where I put a couple of good balls in."

-The Sun-
www.thesun.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment